Cookies

Cookies
A haven of snack-y happiness!

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Holiday Post 4: Mini Red Velvet Cupcakes

Please see Holiday Post 1 for a further explanation of the idea behind this holiday series.

My other cousin immediately asked for red velvet anything. I suggested that blue velvet was the new red velvet, but he was adamant about red. So, since Santa had been so kind to drop off a mini cupcake maker just days earlier, I couldn't help myself but to employ it.

I used a recipe which I have used before for red velvet:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/red-velvet-cupcakes/Detail.aspx

I started with these quality ingredients:
20111224011832
Just a note here - yes, that ENTIRE bottle of red food coloring goes into this product. But it sure is pretty and tasty!!

Speaking of stock photos - I began by creaming the butter and sugar together. I don't have a photo of this from this project, but you can see quite a few other shots of me doing it in previous posts.

I added in the wet ingredients and managed a beautiful action shot:
20111224012925

Oh my is it red!
20111224012658

Once all the ingredients were added, I prepped the mini cupcake maker. Its' instruction manual claims that you should fill it while it's cold, but that subsequent batches could be added without re-cooling the machine. The first test product I (failed to) make in it proved this to be a fallacy. Today I plugged it in to heat up while filling the mini-cupcake liners, 8 at a time, to one side.
20111224015639

Once the machine was ready, I popped the prefilled cups in and waited about 8 minutes. The tops were beautifully formed and springy when they were done:
20111224020447

I put on some store bought frosting from a spray can and sprinkled shaved bittersweet chocolate on top to finish them off:
IMG00482
(wow is that a terrible photo or what!)
IMG00480

They looked so cute! And they smelled DELICIOUS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment