Cookies

Cookies
A haven of snack-y happiness!

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Holiday Post 2: Lemon Mascarpone Frosted Chocolate Cupcakes

Please see Holiday Post 1 for a brief explanation of the holiday product and an excuse for why the photographs do not meet the general caliber this blog has sought to produce.

My uncle was a pip, thinking up the hardest things he could, things I had never heard of and he had most likely never even tried. In the end he never picked anything and just asked me to surprise him. He loves lemon bars, loves chocolate and we are of Italian heritage, so I just melted when I saw this recipe incorporating mascarpone cheese and lemon:

http://www.dessertsforbreakfast.com/2010/03/chocolate-lemon-mascarpone-cupcakes-or.html

I started with these quality ingredients:
20111223174040
(gosh darn that's a powerful flash! lmao)

I combined the dry ingredients first in the mixer bowl and the wet ones in a separate bowl. After adding the wet to the dry while on stir speed, the batter seemed the consistency of normal batter. After adding the boiling water, the result was very loose, as seen below:
20111223180206

I prepped the cupcake tins with nonstick cooking spray and pretty cupcake liners. I filled the liners about 1/2-2/3 of the way with the batter and loaded them into the preheated 350 degree oven.
20111223181108

I started the icing with the zested lemon:
20111223214630

I added the rest of the ingredients and beat on a high speed. When I stopped, I did not feel that "soft peaks" had formed yet, so I beat it for another 45 seconds or so.

After the cupcakes had cooled totally I loaded the frosting into an icing bag with a star tip and piped it onto them. Check out the variance in this crazy flash on the next two photos; in the last one you can actually see that the frosting was, in fact, yellow!

20111223221035
IMG00488

He really loved them. They were a huge hit. I hope you enjoy them too!

No comments:

Post a Comment