Cookies

Cookies
A haven of snack-y happiness!

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Holiday Post 3: Peanut Butter Cups

Please see Holiday Post 1 for greater details about the nature of these holiday posts.

One of my cousins was really intrigued by the idea but couldn't come up with anything that he wanted. Eventually he gave up and said, "just make me something good with chocolate and peanut butter in it." So I found a copycat recipe for at-home Reese's peanut butter cups. Since I made them and not Reese's, I like to call them Candide Coating Peanut Butter Cups :-)

I used this recipe:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/homemade-peanut-butter-cups/detail.aspx

I started with these quality ingredients:
20111223232853
I think this is the most overblown photo that I kept. Interesting side anecdote about these ingredients: I don't write down a quantity when I make my shopping list, just the ingredients that I need. So when I got to the peanut butter I had no idea how much I needed. Not wanting to go back to the store I not only purchased the largest jar they had but I also purchased an additional medium jar "just in case." In the end I only opened the medium jar and used very little of it.

To begin, I melted the shortening and some chocolate and brushed the insides of 30 mini-cupcake liners.
20111224000834

I popped them into the fridge for 2 hours while working on the filling and some of my other holiday posts.

For the filling I started by putting some graham crackers into the food processor:
20111224001822
(you'd think by now I'd be using a "stock" photo for this image lol)

On the stovetop I heated the peanut butter with the butter. When it reached the desired consistency, I added the confectioner's sugar and the graham cracker crumbs:
20111224002051

From someone who doesn't eat this, it really looked unpleasant to me.

I filled the cooled cups with the peanut butter mixture, leaving room for the top layer of chocolate:
20111224003521

Then I brushed the chocolate over the tops to seal inside the peanut butter-y goodness:
20111224004205

I kept them in the freezer until it was time to eat them. One girl at the party insisted there was no way that I had made them. I guess that's a compliment...

No comments:

Post a Comment