Cookies

Cookies
A haven of snack-y happiness!

Friday, November 11, 2011

Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge

I have been wanting to make fudge for some time (particularly after the peanut brittle success). I know I've been a terrible blogger with my absence lately, however, I have been busy baking many things. Many of these things have already been posted quite well and I felt no need to beat them into the ground (my favourite frequents include Garlic Twisty BreadChocolate Chip Cookies, and Brownies). I finally made some fudge about two weeks ago, it is long gone into the happy tummies of my friends and family, so here is a review of how it came to be.

I used this recipe:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/old-fashioned-chocolate-fudge/detail.aspx
A note here, I found the first two comments at the bottom of this recipe quite useful. I did clean the sides of the pot while it was cooking and I was very careful to not stir, jostle or touch the pot as it was heating and cooling.

I started with these quality ingredients:
ingredients

After stirring the milk, cocoa and sugar together in a medium pot I brought it to a boil.
boiling

I then reduced the heat, set my timer in place and set the alarm at 238 degrees. I didn't touch anything until it beeped. I then very carefully and slowly moved it to a cool burner and threw the butter and vanilla in but did not stir (as the first comment indicated).

butter

It took nearly forty minutes to cool down to 115 degrees, and the butter was still a pool in the center.
melted

I beat the butter in, but was careful not to overbeat.
mixing

I poured it into a pan to cool.
cooling

I cut it into about 36 pieces once it was totally cooled, but I forgot to take a photo of that, which kinda stinks.

Better luck next time :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment