Cookies

Cookies
A haven of snack-y happiness!

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Rainbow Cake redux

In an effort to limit the repetitiveness of this blog, I deleted the original rainbow cake post. As it was my first post, there was several errors with it. So this updated version should go better.

I was inspired by this:
http://www.notmartha.org/archives/2011/03/16/leprechaun-trap-cake/

My first attempt (with a homemade white cake recipe from Kitchenaid) came out like this:

previous attempt

For the second try, I opted to use two boxes of angel food cake.

I started with about half of one box worth of cake in the well greased bundt pan.

before rainbow-i-fy-ing

I then put six portions of decreasing size in various bowls on my counter. I left some cake batter in the bowl. I used 4 drops of food coloring per bowl, creating the orange and purple with two drops each of two colors.

colored cake batter

I then used a ziploc inside a cup to spoon the colored batter from each bowl into a ziploc. I snipped the corner and squeezed out concentric circles each getting slightly smaller.

layer 1
layer 2
layer 3
IMG_20110602_223127
layer 5
layer 6

After all the colors had been done, I did a little layer of white in the middle to try to make an arch. I ended up not using about a quarter of a box of batter.

final layer

I was very nervous that the cake was going to overflow the pan in the oven. But I cooked for approximately 36 minutes and it looked so beautiful when we cut it open!

not perfect but still pretty
oh so rainbow-ie!
cake and icecream

No comments:

Post a Comment